To celebrate Cinco de Mayo DuPage Credit Union Team Members cooked, baked and whipped together fiesta goodies for our potluck lunch. Below are the three dishes that gathered the most votes in our cook-off contest:
1st Place: Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
By Noemi K.
- 1 lb. shredded cooked chicken
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (10 ounce each) cans Ro-Tel® Original diced tomatoes and greed chilies, undrained
- 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 3 cups chicken broth (from 32 ounce carton).
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- Garnish with crushed tortilla chips, limes, sour cream, avocado, cilantro leaves, and shredded cheese.
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker. Sprinkle on the chili powder, cumin, and salt and pepper. Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, Ro-Tel, enchilada sauce, chicken broth, corn, and black beans. Stir, place the lid on the slow cooker, and cook and heat thoroughly on high for 3-4 hours (or 6- 8 hours on low).
- Stir occasionally. Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Serve in a bowl with crushed tortilla chips, limes, sour cream, avocado, cilantro leaves, and shredded cheese on top!
2nd Place: Churro Cupcakes
By Diana H.
- 1 box French Vanilla cake mix, plus ingredients on back of box
- 1 small box instant vanilla pudding mix (unprepared)
- 1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 can vanilla or white frosting
- Baked churros, cut into 1-2″ pieces (usually found in the grocery store freezer section) – OR – crushed cinnamon graham crackers
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two muffin tins with about 16 paper liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, prepare the cake mix according to package directions. Stir the dry pudding mix (unprepared) and cinnamon into the batter to combine. Spoon the batter evenly among the muffin tins, filling about ¾” of the way full. Bake for approx. 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes and garnish with a churro piece or crushed cinnamon graham crackers.
3rd Place: Mexican Chicken Casserole
By Pam K.
- 1 bag Doritos® (smash up to small pieces)
- 1 bag of Mexican cheese blend
- 2 cans of cream of chicken soup
- 1 can of Ro-Tel tomatoes and chilies
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1tblspoon or more of chili powder
- 1 tablespoon or more of garlic powder
- 1.5 lbs. grilled chicken thin breast or tenderloins
- In bowl add grilled chicken, ½ half of bag of cheese, chili powder, garlic powder, soup, Ro-Tel tomatoes, green and red pepper, stir all together and put in fridge overnight
- In casserole dish melt butter and coat bottom of pan and add half of crushed Dorito’s
- Add mixture from bowl to casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees for 30 mins
- After 30 mins, take out of oven, add rest of cheese in bag and then the rest of Doritos on top and bake again for 5 mins at 350 degrees
- Serve and enjoy!!!
Congratulations Noemi, Diana and Pam & thanks to everyone who made delicious treats to help celebrate Cinco de Mayo! What’s your favorite South-of-the-Border dish? Please share below: