Moving into your new home can be both exciting and overwhelming at the same time. Below are a few practical tips to help make moving day less stressful.
- Reserve a Truck – As soon as you have a closing date, reserve a U-Haul or call a mover like Two Men and a Truck® to ensure they are available when you need them. It might also be a good time to enlist your friends & family to help with the occasion, even if it’s just to entertain the kids while you’re busy with the move.
- Label Everything – Save yourself future frustration by labeling each box and where it goes, for instance Towels – Kids Upstairs Bathroom. You can pick up a label-maker or several Sharpies® at an office supply or super store.
- Pack with Plastic – Vacuum Seal Garment Bags are a great way to save space when packing clothes or linens. For clothes on hangers, plastic garment bags work great! You save time by keeping them on the hanger and protects them from getting dirty during the move.
- Schedule Utility Start Dates – If you don’t want to miss the latest episode of your favorite show or prefer unpacking in an air-conditioned, well-lit home don’t forget to call and schedule times to switch your utilities from your current home to your new one.
- Go Boxes – Pack items you will need in the first few days in a few clear Rubbermaid® bins for easy access. Include items such as toilet paper, paper towels, sanitizing wipes, medicine, treats (for pets), toiletries, etc.
- Dinner on the Go – Most likely you will not have time to make a full meal in your new home for at least a few days. This is a great opportunity to get to know your new neighborhood by trying out some of the local restaurants. Apps such as AroundMe for Apple and Android can help you find restaurants, supermarkets and more based on your current location.
- Double Check – Make sure to look in every nook and cranny of your former home, including the dishwasher, before handing over the keys to the new owner and moving into your new home.
- Update Your Information – Remember to complete a Change of Address form at the Post Office, as well as informing your credit card companies, financial institutions, employer and friends & family of your new contact information.
And if you’re a DuPage Credit Union Member, it’s easy to update your information. Just login to Online Banking and click on Settings > Profile > Address to make updates.
Have other Tips for Moving? Share them below!