It’s that time of year for costumes, candy and trick or treaters. Halloween is always a fun time for children and families, but it also can be dangerous. To help make this year’s festivities fun, here are some reminders to ensure a safe Halloween:
- Send your children with flashlights or glow in the dark bracelets and sticks for once it gets dark. Glow in the dark toys can be found at your local Walmart® or Dollar Tree®.
- Follow your communities trick or treating hours. For hours and other Halloween events, check out this resource.
- Children under the age of 12 should have an adult with them at all times. Older children should only trick or treat in groups.
- Cross the streets only using crosswalks and traffic signals.
- Always walk on sidewalks or paths.
- Trick or treat in familiar and well lit areas only.
- Remind your children to never enter homes or cars of strangers.
- Encourage your children to not eat any of their candy until they get home and an adult thoroughly checks it.
So, before your ghost and goblins rush out of the door to stuff their pillow cases with candy, sit down with them to go over these safety tips. Have other safety tips? Share them below and remember to have a fun and spooktacular Halloween!